It isn’t easy to choose the poem that expresses how you feel about your loved one, and how they touched your life and the lives of the people around them. Here are a few to get you started.
One at Rest
Think of me as one at rest for me you should not weep,
I have no pain no troubled thoughts for I am just asleep.
The living thinking me that was, is now forever still.
And life goes on without me as time forever will.
If your heart is heavy now because I’ve gone away,
Dwell not long upon it friend for none of us can stay.
The answer to life’s riddle in life I never knew,
I go with hope that now I will and even so will you.
Oh, foolish, foolish me that was, I who was so small,
to have wondered even worried at the mystery of it all.
And in my fleeting life span, as time went rushing by,
I found some time to hesitate, to laugh, to cry.
Matters it now if time began, if time will ever cease?
I was here, I used it all and now I am at peace.
Miss Me – But Let Me Go
When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me,
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room,
Why cry for a soul set free!
Miss me a little – but not for long
And not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we once shared,
Miss me, but let me go.
For this journey that we all must take
And each must go alone;
It’s all a part of the Master’s plan
A step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick at heart
Go to the friends we know,
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
Miss me, but let me go.
– Edgar Albert Guest (1881-1959)
Life Is But A Stopping Place
Life is but a stopping place,
A pause in what’s to be,
A resting place along the road,
to sweet eternity.
We all have different journeys.
Different paths along the way,
We all were meant to learn some things,
but never meant to stay…
Our destination is a place,
Far greater than we know.
For some the journey’s quicker,
For some the journey’s slow.
And when the journey finally ends,
We’ll claim a great reward,
And find an everlasting peace,
Together with the lord
Time Will Ease The Hurt
The sadness of the present days
is locked and set in time,
and moving to the future
is a slow and painful climb.
But all the feelings that are now
so vivid and so real
can’t hold their fresh intensity
as time begins to heal.
No wound so deep will ever go
yet every hurt becomes
a little less from day to day.
Nothing can erase the painful
imprints on your mind
but there are softer memories
that time will let you find.
Though your heart won’t let the sadness
simply slide away
the echoes will diminish
even though the memories stay
If Tomorrow Starts Without Me – David Romano
If tomorrow starts without me, and I’m not there to see,
If the sun should rise and find your eyes all filled with tears for me;
I wish so much you wouldn’t cry the way you did today,
while thinking of the many things we didn’t get to say.
I know how much you care for me, and how much I care for you,
and each time that you think of me I know you’ll miss me too;
But when tomorrow starts without me, please try to understand,
that an angel came and called my name and took me by the hand,
and said my place was ready in heaven far above,
and that I’d have to leave behind all those I dearly love.
But as I turned to walk away, a tear fell from my eye,
for all life, I’d always thought I didn’t want to die.
I had so much to live for and so much yet to do.
it seemed almost impossible that I was leaving you.
I thought of all the love we shared and all the fun we had.
If I could relive yesterday, I thought, just for a while,
I’d say goodbye and hug you and maybe see you smile.
But then I fully realised that this could never be,
for emptiness and memories would take the place of me.
And when I thought of worldly things that I’d miss come tomorrow.
I thought of you, and when I did, my heart was filled with sorrow.
But when I walked through Heaven’s gates, I felt so much at home.
When God looked down and smiled at me, from His great golden throne,
He said, “This is eternity and all I’ve promised you,
Today your life on earth is past but here it’s starts anew.
I promise no tomorrow, but today will always last.
and since each day’s the same, there’s no longing for the past.
But you have been so faithful, so trusting, so true.
Though there were times you did some things you knew you shouldn’t do.
And you have been forgiven and now at last you’re free.
So won’t you come and take my hand and share my life with me?”
So if tomorrow starts without me, don’t think we’re far apart,
for every time you think of me, please know I’m in your heart.
Sometimes finding the right songs for your loved ones’ funeral is hard. We’ve selected a few to get you started.
My Way – Frank Sinatra
Time to Say Goodbye – Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli
Wind Beneath My Wings – Bette Midler
Over the Rainbow – Eva Cassidy
Angels – Robbie Williams
You Raise Me Up – Westlife/ Boyzone
You’ll Never Walk Alone – Gerry and the Pacemakers
We’ll Meet Again – Vera Lynn
My Heart Will Go On – Celine Dion
Tears in Heaven – Eric Clapton
I Will Remember You – Sarah McLachlan
Imagine – John Lennon
Goodbye My Lover – James Blunt
Unforgettable – Nat King Cole
I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston
When I Get Where I’m Going – Brad Paisley & Dolly Parton
You’ll Be In My Heart – Phil Collins
Forever Young – Bob Dylan
Yesterday – The Beatles
Beautiful Day – U2
Abide With Me
All Things Bright and Beautiful
The Old Rugged Cross
How Great Thou Art
Morning has Broken
Make Me a Channel of Your Peace
Nimrod from Enigma Variations – Elgar
Canon in D – Pachelbel
Ave Maria – Schubert
Nessun Norma – Puccini
Pie Jesu from Requiem – Faure
The Four Seasons – Vivaldi
Adagio – Albinoni
Clair de Lune – Debussy
- ADASS ISRAEL – Adass Israel Cemetery Trust
- ALTONA MEMORIAL PARK – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- ARTHURS CREEK – Arthurs Creek Cemetery Trust
- BEENAK – Beenak Cemetery Trust
- BERWICK – Berwick Cemetery Trust
- BOROONDARA – Boroondara Cemetery Trust
- BOX HILL – Box Hill Cemetery Trust
- BRIGHTON GENERAL – Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- BULLA – Bulla Cemetery Trust
- BUNURONG MEMORIAL PARK – Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- BUNYIP – Bunyip Cemetery Trust
- BURWOOD – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- CHELTENHAM MEMORIAL – Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- CHELTENHAM PIONEER – Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- COBURG – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- CRANBOURNE – Cranbourne Cemetery Trust
- CRIB POINT – Crib Point Cemetery Trust
- DANDENONG – Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- DONNYBROOK (also Kalkallo) – Donnybrook Cemetery Trust
- DROMANA – Mornington Peninsula Cemetery Trust
- ELTHAM – Eltham Cemetery Trust
- EMERALD (NANGANA) – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- EPPING – Epping Cemetery Trust
- FAWKNER CREMATORIUM & MEMORIAL PARK – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- FERNTREE GULLY – Ferntree Gully Cemetery Trust
- FLINDERS – Mornington Peninsula Cemetery Trust
- FOOTSCRAY – Footscray Cemetery Trust
- FRANKSTON – Frankston Cemetery Trust
- GEMBROOK – Gembrook Cemetery Trust
- GREENSBOROUGH – Banyule Cemeteries Trust
- HARKAWAY – Harkaway Cemetery Trust
- HEALESVILLE – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- KANGAROO GROUND – Kangaroo Ground Cemetery Trust
- KEILOR – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- LILYDALE – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- MARYKNOLL – Maryknoll Cemetery Trust
- MELBOURNE CHEVRA KADISHA (LYNDHURST) – Melbourne Chevra Kadisha Cemetery Trust
- MELBOURNE CHEVRA KADISHA (NOBLE PARK) – Melbourne Chevra Kadisha Cemetery Trust
- MELBOURNE GENERAL – Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- MELTON – Melton Cemetery Trust
- MORNINGTON – Mornington Peninsula Cemetery Trust
- NILLUMBIK (Diamond Creek) – Nillumbik Cemetery Trust
- NORTHCOTE – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- OAKLEIGH – Oakleigh Cemetery Trust
- PAKENHAM – Pakenham Cemetery Trust
- PLENTY VALLEY – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- PRESTON – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- QUEENSTOWN – Queenstown Cemetery Trust
- RYE – Rye Cemetery Trust
- SORRENTO – Sorrento Cemetery Trust
- SPRINGVALE BOTANICAL – Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- ST KILDA GENERAL – Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- SUNBURY – Sunbury Cemetery Trust
- TEMPLESTOWE – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- TRUGANINA – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- TYABB – Mornington Peninsula Cemetery Trust
- UPPER YARRA – Upper Yarra Cemetery Trust
- WARRANDYTE (ANDERSON CREEK) – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- WARRINGAL – Banyule Cemeteries Trust
- WERRIBEE – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- WILL WILL ROOK – Will Will Rook Cemetery Trust
- WILLIAMSTOWN – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- YAN YEAN – Yan Yean Cemetery Trust
- YARRA GLEN – Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust